Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Why college students shy away from CFP exam

Last month, my colleague Mark Schoeff filed a story about a recent survey showing that more than half of college students who had completed financial planning coursework at three universities had decided not to sit for the national exam that would qualify them as certified planners.

Apparently, many felt the test is too hard. I feel their pain.

After completing seven college-level courses at the University of Virginia earlier this year, I was proud to be awarded a certificate in Certified Financial Planning.

I thought balancing work and school was a challenge, but as I am half way through the process of cramming for the CFP exam in November, I realized that this is the hard part.

I knew I needed a review course to prepare for the rigorous two-day, 10-hour exam. I had heard good things about several review programs including Keir, Zahn and Dalton. By process of elimination, I chose the Dalton Review because it offered an in-person review class in the Washington, DC area where I live. (So did the Zahn course but its schedule conflicted with an out-of-town wedding that I plan to attend).

After registering for the course on-line and forking over the $1,195 payment, I received a box i

No comments:

Post a Comment